A sales receipt (also known as simplified invoice) is much like how it sounds - a cut-down version of a normal invoice.
The thresholds whereby sales receipts are allowed vary from state to state, but for example the British tax authorities allow for simplified invoices for invoices totalling less than £250 (incl VAT).
The things you can exclude for a sales receipt are:
- No need for a date of issue
- No need for the customer's name, trading name or address
- No price per item excl VAT
- No total amount excl VAT
- No quantity of each type of item
- No rate of discount per item
But notably, you must include:
- A unique invoice number
- Your business name and address
- Your VAT number
- The tax point/time of supply (e.g. the date of the sale)
- A description of the goods or services
- Rate of VAT charged per item
- Total amount including VAT/GST (and notice that it does include VAT/GST)
That's a lot to think about. The good news is that Quaderno can handle sending out sales receipts for you just like regular ones, so you can let us do that thinking for you while you focus on making more of those sweet sales.