You can import your contacts from another application into Quaderno easily using our CSV template.
Quaderno uses CSV (comma-separated value) files to perform this kind of bulk task. Here is an example: contacts.csv
To import contacts, follow these steps:
- Go to the contacts page and click Import contacts.
- Drag & drop your CSV file in the modal window.
Duplicates are detected based on the name column. When this happens, we’ll update the contact instead of creating a new one. Take into account that if the contact had info on a field that now comes empty on the CSV, that field will be emptied.
CSV columns breakdown
The name field is required.
All other are optional, although we highly recommend always filling tax_id and business info for companies, so that we can apply reverse-charge automatically on their invoices when their VAT number is verified.
Optional fields can be left empty or be removed. Note that empty fields will remove existing fields when updating contacts.
|type||The contact type: company or person. Default is company.|
|name||The contact's name. This is a required field. If your customer or vendor doesn’t already exist in Quaderno, they will be created as a new contact. When they do exist, Quaderno will override the existing contact, including removal of empty fields on the CSV that existed before.|
|email_address||The contact’s email address|
|address_line_1||The contact’s address (first line)|
|address_line_2||The contact’s address (second line)|
|city||The contact’s city|
|postal_code||The contact’s postal or ZIP code|
|region||The contact’s region or state|
|country||The contact’s country (2-letter ISO code). Defaults to your base country.|
|phone||The contact’s telephone number|
|web||The contact’s web address (URL)|
|tax_id||The contact’s tax id (VAT number). Make sure you fill this for B2B sales! Quaderno will automatically apply reverse-charge for invoices issued to contacts with a verified tax id.|
Pro tips for a successful import
- The CSV file cannot contain more than 500 rows and its maximum size is 300kb. If the file contains more than 500 rows or is larger than 300kb, you would just have to split this into multiple files to import.
- Leave the header row intact.
- Make sure to only enter one contact per row, under the existing headings.
- Do not remove any mandatory columns.
- If copying from another system, make sure you use the same column headings, or change them to match.
- Duplicates are detected based on the name column. If the name isn’t spelled correctly or doesn’t already exist, Quaderno will assume it is a new contact.
- If a contact already exists and you specify email or address details, Quaderno will override the existing info and replace it with the latest. Note that empty fields will remove existing fields when updating contacts.