Correcting mistakes in your invoices
International tax standards agree that once an invoice has been issued, it can no longer be modified in order to avoid inconsistencies in tax filings and to prevent fraud.
The only fully law compliant way of correcting invoices is by canceling the original invoice with an equivalent credit note, and issuing a new invoice with the corrected data.
To cancel out an invoice, just issue a credit note. However when you need to correct an invoice, follow these steps:
- Go to the invoices page and select the invoice you need to correct.
- Click the
- A duplicated editable invoice will be automatically created. If the invoice’s contact has been updated since, the new invoice will have the most up to date data. You can now fix all the information you need.
- When done, click
Once you issue the corrected invoice, a credit note will be generated automatically to cancel out the original invoice, staying tax compliant worldwide.
Tips to avoid recurring mistakes on invoices
- Review your integrations to ensure they are set up correctly to collect and send accurate customer details to Quaderno.
- Review your tax preferences and products to ensure they are configured with the
tax codethat correspond to your sales.
- Review your tax jurisdictions to ensure you are only collecting tax in jurisdictions where you are registered. Collecting taxes before you are registered is illegal!
- Before making any changes to your live integration, you can try it out in our Sandbox first.